Books are the quietest and most constant of friends, they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers.”
– Charles William Elliot
Other mediums that Afrikaans books are published in
Many Afrikaans books have also been published in large print, Braille, audio-books and e-books, e.g.:
Deon Meyer – 7 Dae: Bennie Griessel se week van hel
Marieta van der Vyver – Dis koue kos, skat
Irma Joubert – Verbode drif
Audio book versions
Deon Meyer – 13 Uur
Verna Vels – Die groot Liewe Heksie – storieboek
Eugene Marais – Die siel van die mier
Deon Meyer – Ikarus
Irma Joubert – Tussen stasies
Nataniël – 150 Stories
Meet Deon Meyer, the king of crime novels
Have you noticed that Deon Meyer’s name pops up everywhere in Afrikaans literature? That is because he is considered the master of Afrikaans crime fiction. This summary of his biography will explain why:
Deon Meyer was born in Paarl in 1958 and holds a Masters’ Degree in Creative Writing. After starting his career as a journalist, he moved on to the advertising industry as a copywriter and later brand strategist. His fiction career kicked off with a short story published by ‘Huisgenoot’ magazine. This was followed by more short stories and followed by his first novel published in 1994. Since then he published eleven novels and two collections of short stories. He also wrote several movie scripts.
His novels are published in more than forty countries. Dead Before Dying was turned into an international TV series called Cape Town. His latest novel, Koors, (translated into English as Fever) took the world by storm, as it is the first crime novel with an apocalyptical theme ever written in Afrikaans.
Some more facts about Meyer, who writes full time and lives in Stellenbosch:
- Detective Benny Griessel, one of a few lead characters in his different novels, is arguably the best-known fictional cop in Afrikaans literature
- His books are translated into 27 other languages like French, German, Russian and Mandarin
- His work is published in various mediums: paper, Braille, audio and e-books
- Most of his Afrikaans books have had 50 000 print runs in South Africa alone
- He wrote numerous scripts for TV and film
- He wrote the script for two popular TV series: Transito (original series) and Orion (based on his bestselling book)
- Other film rights awarded: 13 Ure (Thirteen Hours), Proteus (Heart of the Hunter)
- Received many awards in South Africa and Europe
- He is passionate about South Africa, Mozart, cooking, photography, mountain biking and rugby – the Free State Cheetahs and the Springboks.
The Afrikaans treasure chest of books will continue to captivate both English and Afrikaans readers for many years to come.
Afrikaans book sales have doubled over the past ten years. Read more …
Click here to have a look at the list of the greatest Afrikaans books of the century.